The growth of mobile phone and internet penetration in Indonesia is undoubtedly swift. In January 2020, We Are Social reported: mobile phone ownership is at 124% index vs population, while internet penetration is at 64%.
This exciting growth is unfortunately followed by the growth of sedentary lifestyle. Riskesdas shows there is a significant increase in percentage of adults with limited physical activity year on year (26.1% in 2013 to 33.5% in 2018) while a 2017 study by Stanford University claimed that Indonesia ranks the lowest in average daily steps/person.
Amongst all Indonesians, the impact of limited movement is felt even worse by handicapped communities. In a survey conducted by the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee of UK in 2002 revealed that disabled people travel a third less than the general public, while lack of disabled friendly public facilities in Indonesia have also been well documented.
Rexona acknowledges this challenge and decided to revisit the Gerak app that was launched in 2018. With its brand purpose - live more, move more, Rexona wanted to invite the wider society to connect, collaborate, and contribute better to the disabled community by introducing the Gerak Tak Terbatas (Unlimited Moves) campaign.
What we do
During our focus group discussion with disabled community, we found that people with disabilities often feel unwanted and alienated. As a result, we created a campaign that runs on 3 essential foundations:
Connect (connecting the disabled to mass):
- Generated conversation in Twitter and created organic media exposure
- Created a massive launch event for the campaign
- Produced an exclusive digital video starring combination between abled and disabled talents
Collaborate (collaborating with various partners):
Collaborated with Indonesian Health Ministry, MRT Jakarta, & Art Therapy Center Widyatama (art school for the disabled) to create Unlimited Moves, while keeping the Grab Gerak one-click order function within the app.
Upgraded Gerak by Rexona application for mass audience to count their daily steps and turning it into aiding device for disabled friends
Unlimited Moves created big impacts and gain numerous achievements:
- 91.5 Million Impressions
- 24.5 Million Reach
- 2.3 Million Euros (Biggest ever) PR Value
- 20% ROI (normal: 4%)
- 130 Million Steps recorded in application
- 4.3 Stars reviews for the application
- 160K Downloads the application
- Top 16 Google Play free apps in Indonesia (Health Category)
- Indonesia Most Experiential Brand Activation Award 2020 WINNER (Community Activation Category)
- 21% Average number of daily steps in Indonesia increased by Gerak application